National umbrella body Locality and MyCommunity are offering support to community groups to lead community housing projects.
If your area is crying out for decent, affordable housing, why not consider taking some local action to set up your own housing project? Communities can now have more of say over what they want to build and where they want to build it.
What is community-led housing?
Community-led housing projects are run by individual community groups determined to build the types of homes that local people need and want. These projects aim to solve local problems by working for and with the local community.
Community-led housing can help address issues like:
- Affordable housing for:
- those who are in need (such as unemployed people or single parents)
- young people looking to buy their first house
- older residents wanting to downsize
- Reasonably priced homes for families
- Housing that meets the community’s wants and needs
- A long waiting list for council housing.