The following update has been received from Sandy Adirondack, voluntary sector legal expert – www.sandy-a.co.uk
NJC pay rates
National Joint Council for Local Government Services (NJC) pay rates are nationally negotiated between trade unions (GMB, Unison and Unite) and the National Employers for Local Government Services, who negotiate pay on behalf of 350 local authorities in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. NJC rates are intended for use in local government, but some voluntary sector employers link their employees’ salaries to NJC rates. The rates from 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2020, as issued in December 2017, were agreed on 10 April 2018. The rates are the same as the previous update published on 29/03/18.
Key points are:
- Staff on the lowest spinal column point (SCP 6) get the highest percentage increase, 16%, over the two years. As from 1 April 2018 hourly pay went up from £7.78 to £8.50, and will go up to £9 for 2019-20.
- For those on SCPs 7-28, the pay increase over the two years is between 15% and 4.3%.
- For those on SCPs 29-49, the increase over the two years is 4.04%.
SCPs 1-5 are not in use. For SCPs over 49 some local authorities produce their own scale points, but these are not official NJC rates.
From 1 April 2019 current SCPs 6-49 are restructured into SCPs 1-43, with even 2% pay gaps between SCPs 1-22 (equivalent to current SCPs 6-28), and lower percentage increases between gaps for new SCPs 22-43. One of the main sticking points for the trade unions was that the flat 2% increase for most workers is below inflation.
- Agreed rates, showing annual and hourly pay for 2018-19 and 2019-20 for every SCP: via the East Midlands Councils website, http://www.emcouncils.gov.uk/write/LGS_Pay_2018-19.pdf.
- Article from Northern Ireland Council for Voluntary Action (NICVA), which provides information for the UK voluntary sector on NJC pay rates, but is not party to the negotiations: http://www.nicva.org/article/njc-payscales-2018-2020.
To join the legal updates email list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.