- This event has passed.
Suicide Prevention – Comms and Media Masterclass
14 August 2018 at 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Public Health England (PHE) and the Combined Authority’s Thrive West Midlands Programme are hosting a masterclass for communications leads and interested local media journalists.
The two hour masterclass will take place on Tuesday August 14th from 11am until 1pm at PHE Offices in Birmingham (Room GA). The email will be going out to communications teams directly, but you may wish to push for their involvement or to suggest local media / provider communications teams involved in the delivery of your suicide prevention plans.
Previous media masterclass sessions have been extremely well evaluated and action to improve media handling of suicide and improved communications is a key action identified within the cross-government National Suicide Prevention Strategy (2012) and features in most local multi-agency suicide prevention plans, led by local government stakeholders.
Outline of the Session
Lorna Fraser, Executive Lead for Samaritans Media Advisory Service will be delivering a talk on Samaritans’ work with the media to support safe and responsible coverage of suicide and self-harm.
Masterclass content will include:
- Suicide contagion and some context around the media’s influence on vulnerable people
- Research evidence, which links certain types of media depiction of suicide with increases in suicide rates
- Some of the main risk areas in relation to media reporting of suicide
- Samaritans’ media guidelines and proactive work in this area
- How helpful coverage can support national suicide prevention efforts
- How Samaritans can support local partners with issues and concerns relating to media reports
For more information and/or to reserve a free place on the masterclass, please register your interest by email to email@example.com