What is Small Charity Week?
13th – 18th June 2016
Small Charity Week is an annual event to celebrate and raise the profile of the small charity sector (those charities with a turnover under £1.5 million) and the amazing work they do.
Small Charity Week, now in its seventh year, is a week-long event comprising of a series of activities and initiatives to support and raise awareness of the hundreds and thousands of small charities that, every day, make a huge difference to vulnerable communities right across the UK and the rest of the world.
In order for Small Charity Week to have the widest possible impact, we want to encourage community and voluntary organisations throughout the UK to take an active part. This can either be by running an event for small charities during the week itself or by participating in or promoting the existing initiatives.
Below is a brief summary of the programme for the week, along with instructions on how to receive further advice from us about running your own event and what you can expect in terms of support.
Small Charity Week 2016
Small Charity Week 2016 will be taking place from 13th – 18th June and each day is separately themed with free support, events and activities. If you would like further information on any of the events then please contact us and we can send out further information and toolkits to support you.
Monday 13th June: I ♥ Small Charities Day
This day kick-starts the week and is a great chance to raise the profile of small charities. The FSI will be running a social media competition encouraging people to highlight the invaluable work of small charities with cash prizes available for the winning participating charities.
Tuesday is an opportunity for small charities to access expert knowledge for free. In London, the FSI are running a central advice hub at City Hall bringing together small charities with expert volunteers who are able to offer free 1:1 advice clinics. We are calling on other organisations across the UK to think about how they might be able to run a ‘Big Advice Day’ event outside of London. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and to receive a toolkit with lots of useful information on how to run a successful Big Advice Day event.
We are calling on Local Authorities across the UK to run a Policy Day event where small charities can engage with and learn from policy makers and influencers.
The FSI, with our partners, will be running a range of free activities and competitions to help small charities to raise funds for themselves, such as:
- A competition to have a fundraising message featured on the checkout page of eBay UK during Small Charity Week– this has raised in excess of £15,000 in previous years.
- An eBay auction where we take care of all of the admin and hard work and each contributing small charity keeps the full price their items fetch.
- We will be launching a competition with Virgin Money Giving which will offer free marathon places for small charities
- We will be releasing free fundraising toolkits to support small charities to run their own community fundraising activities including the ever-popular Small Charity Week Quiz.
Volunteering opportunities from small charities are highlighted as widely as possible on this particular day and we are also running a range of free events with our partners to help small charities engage with new volunteers who have specific skills and meet with new potential Trustees, as well as to gain new skills.
The week comes to an end with another opportunity for small charities to raise their profile and to celebrate their work. On this day we will be featuring small charity messages on Big Screens across the UK and encouraging small charities to run their own Celebration Day events.
How to get involved
- Inform the small charities you work with about the free opportunities available for them in your newsletters, Twitter or Facebook. We will be happy to supply you with draft email /Twitter content.
- You can run your own event during the week to support the small charities in your community.
If you would like to take part in one of the days during Small Charity Week then we ask that it is within the spirit of Small Charity Week and is therefore at no cost to small charities to take part. We will be more than happy to inform the Small Charity Week audience about your events and to include you on the partner’s page of the Small Charity Week website.
- Call upon your Local Authority to run an event as part of Small Charity Week to support small charities to engage with their local policy makers and commissioners.
We are happy to hear from you on any alternative ideas you might also have. Please do let us know what you are planning!
What the Small Charity Week Team can provide
We are able to provide you with the Small Charity Week logo and a footer to go on your communications and website so you are able to show your support for Small Charity Week.
For those running their own activities /events we will be able to:
- Promote your organisation on the Small Charity Week website as a partner
- Market your event/activity on the Small Charity Week website, communications and social media channels
Key Contact Details
Please let us know if you would like to get involved with Small Charity Week 2016 in some way.
Small Charity Week is coordinated by the Foundation for Social Improvement, Registered Charity Number: 1123384, www.thefsi.org